500% Program Expansion
260% Continued Annual Growth
38,000 Employee Volunteer Hours
Elevated DaVita to Platinum LEED Status
Increase Employee Engagement
Environmental Advocate Volunteer Program with LEED Kiosk for DaVita World Head Quarters
Environmental Impact in Health Care Systems 2015-2017
Increase LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) engagement with lobby kiosk and corresponding installation designs around the building.
Priority 1: Increase employee engagement in sustainable initiatives to raise LEED status.
Priority 2: Promote leadership status in global healthcare sustainability.
This large scope of work included ideation, user-flows, ux matrix, low-fi and high-res prototypes for gated corporate microsite and public-facing Kiosk. I collaborated with Village Green and DaVita SharePoint developers to optimize time to insight on valuable benchmarks with contextual information visualizations. We developed 2-D, 3-D, and interactive displays.
The user-friendly kiosk combines LEED benchmarks for quick consumption by employees, lobby traffic, and interested parties at corporate events. Increasing visibility of LEED project participation by 421%.
Part 1: Infographic Installation designs
Part 2: SharePoint Employee Website Resources
Part 3: Public-facing lobby kiosks at WHQ
Interview, Content Brief, Corporate Guidelines, Audience Interactions and UX Flow
Identifying Opportunities + Flow
We develop a strategy to build out educational installations and onboard employee engagement with both static and interactive displays. The campaign features 10 goals integral to LEED’s Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) calculations. We first met to discuss effective visualizations and interactions to amplify the impact of employee contributions and sustainable practices.
Condensing IEQ Calulations Into Meaningful Information Visualizations
Mapping Internal and External Audience Engagements
Brand and Employee Engagement Referral Map
We tracked all the moving parts of our campaign with a collaborative spreadsheet. DaVita focused on procuring sustainable vendor materials for the 3-D installation designs while I fully managed microsite updates with DaVita developers and built out the iOS kiosk app. The initial groundwork and documentation kept us on track with building the right thing for their campaign goals.
Collaborative Content Brief
Information Visualization, 3-D Installation Design, and Interactive Guide
Part 1: Infographic Designs
- Design infographics from IEQ data
- Design 10 installations for LEED goals
- Unite displays as part of a walking tour
- Inform employees and visitors quickly
- Promote volunteer opportunities and employee resources
- Displays need brand continuity
- Infographics must be simple enough to be meaningful at a glance
- Collaborate with sustainably sourced vendors to request additional materials for installations
- Extend creative assets for additional marketing opportunities
2-D Signs and PDF Resources
Some infographics were installed as signage at relevant locations at WHQ. PDF graphics would later be leveraged as downloadable resources on the Employee SharePoint website. DaVita was switching over to SharePoint servers at the time of development, and meta could be added to track employee engagement.
3-D Installation Designs
Some installation locations provided a more prominent display using sustainably sourced materials used at WHQ.
Part 2: SharePoint Resources
Creative assets from the installation designs are optimized for global employee distribution on Village Green’s SharePoint microsite.
Our meta tracking goals include the following:
- Online volunteer submissions
- Share button actions
- Print button actions
- Download button actions
- Employee campaign Goals
Part 3: Lobby Kiosk
Keeping interactions minimal made it possible to inform employees and visitors in a succinct way. The kiosk walks through DaVita’s commitment to sustainable healthcare. It also unites all our infographic designs and 3-D installations as a guided walking tour for the building.
User Flow Diagram
Global navigation on left sidebar simplifies interaction with basic click-through navigations.
Low Fidelity Wireframe
The two views on the sketch include an overview screen and a secondary screen designed to highlight meaningful content with large images.
High Fidelity Prototype
- UX/UI design allows visitors to explore topics at a glance
- The welcome message is limited to one sentence, an indication of the user-friendly visuals that follow
- Fitness flooring and events button placement is prioritized due to their proximity to the kiosk
- Each screen features an installation design and lists location at WHQ
- All content is curated to inform WHQ visitors and employees alike
- “Get involved” button is always visible and links to inspiring volunteer opportunities
- QR code on “Get Involved” module links to gated content content for employees
- Public url is listed at bottom of global sidebar by DaVita logo
- The kiosk returns to Welcome (home) screen after a minute of inactivity
1. LEED Walking Tour and Kiosk
The initial campaign amplified visibility by over 500% to employees worldwide.
Kiosks were added to Village Green booths at corporate events. Employee participation tripled in LEED initiatives to help DaVita reach platinum status.
2. Employee SharePoint Platform
Leveraging a Powerful Collaborative Platform to United LEED Documentation
Migrating away from HTML to SharePoint adds data management system to track LEED goals shared among 1750 Locations and 36,000 employees at time of launch. Quarterly benchmarks are shared to inspire employees as they track their goals.
3. Adding the “Green Champion” Leadership Program
Optimizing WHQ Village Green Resouces with Inspired Employee Volunteers
My associate founded a new program, “Green Champions” to recognize associates who facilitate LEED goal tracking for their office location. We created a logo and added forms and PDFs on SharePoint to make it as intuitive as possible for offices around the world to adapt and participate in LEED Goals in a more efficient way. The program successfully trims WHQ time and resources and to this day has added over 1800 “Green Champions” that unite LEED goal tracking efforts.
4. Reiteration Insights and Outcome
Pivot 1: DaVita Launches New SharePoint Platform and Unites LEED Goal Tracking.
Impact:SharePoint adds data management system and expands campaign resources and adds quarterly benchmarks to 1750 Locations and 36,000 employees at time of launch.
Pivot 2: Village Green adds “Green Champion” Volunteer Environmental Advocate Program
Impact: The Village Green team amplified their engagement of their pilot kiosk program by adding 500 “Green Champions” in its first year and average annual growth of 260% to 1800 dedicated “Green Champions”. It has enriched employee experience with a total of 38,000 volunteer hours.
LEED programs have expanded 43% to 2500 locations. Their data management system measures water conservation for 74% of locations, and energy conservations for 89% of locations. DaVita is amplifying climate change goals by prioritizing sustainable sourcing with 70% of its partners.
Employee Engagement Insights
- Energy initiatives were easiest to adapt for new locations and with immediate results
- Employees remain more active by their contributions when they see quarterly progress and participate in voting on environmental initiatives
- The kiosk pilot program inspired 500 employee volunteers at corporate events, creating a ripple effect as environmental advocates (Green Champions) for their office location